Let us start with the famous quote by Mike Sexton, a professional long-term poker player, and commentator: ‘’Poker takes five minutes to learn but a lifetime to master.’’ And honestly, there might not be a better one-sentence explanation for this game. Poker is a card game that brings gambling, skill, and strategy in one. With its popularity in the 20th century, there is rarely anyone who is not familiar to some extent what poker is and how it is played. With so many professional players, tournaments and multimillion-dollar prizes around the world, knowing something more about poker will not hurt you.
As a beginner, the only poker that would need to know is No-Limit Hold’em, or also known as Texas Hold’em. This is the most famous poker version out there. If you have seen poker on TV, or someone else playing, 99% is that they played Texas Hold’em.
Each player at a given table starts with two cards dealt face down. With five other community cards, and four betting rounds, the player with the best five-card hand wins. In here it is important to remember the ranking of the cards for texas hold em’ hands :
- Royal Flush (All cards are the same colour in sequence A-K-Q-J-T)
- Straight Flush (Any sequence in the same colour)
- Four of a Kind (Four cards with the same value)
- Full House (Three of a kind and a pair)
- Flush (All cards are the same colour)
- Straight (A basic sequence)
- Three of a kind (Three cards with the same value)
- Two-pair (Two pairs)
- Pair (Any pair)
- High Card (Whatever your highest card is)
The player with the best hand wins the pot that is in the middle of the table.
Types of Poker
Besides Texas Hold’em poker, there are also other poker variations that are somewhat popular between players. We will list three of them:
- Omaha – Players of Omaha Poker , start the game with four cards, but once the round is over and it is time to see who has the highest ones, they can use only two of those cards. The other three cards come from the Community pile;
- Seven-card stud – This is somewhat of a hipster poker game which was popular before Texas Hold’em. In here, there is no flop or community cards. It starts with two cards faced down and three up. After seven cards are dealt, out of which three are faced down, you have to choose the best five-card combination;
- 2-7 Triple Draw – Advanced poker game with inverse hand rankings. The goal here is to have the lowest five-card hand in a four-round betting game with three draws a game.
Where to Play Poker
Pretty much everywhere. If what you want is to get some practice, you can even start playing Texas Hold’em in the Facebook game section. There are hundreds of sites that offer to play with virtual chips, as well as with real money. Depending on how you choose your place, the most prominent poker sites, will provide the highest number of players as well as active tables. But smaller sites usually have higher sign-up bonuses. When it comes to playing online poker, there are almost no limits.